Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: #JohnDotBanks and all

281 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 12 Newer→ Last

• Mark Graham, in reply to nzlemming,

Exactly. Key looks like he knows what he's doing; the country hasn't collapsed into chaos; he's keeping the bludgers and radicals and intellectuals in their place so he must be doing the right thing. And it all sounds so plausible. Except to those who research a bit deeper but that's, what - 5% of us?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 218 posts Report Reply

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

and don't take my word for it.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to 3410,

Lost the plot?

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Mark Graham,

wow – that took me half an hour to read all the bits. I like it but not sure about the treading water reference.

By "treading water", I was referring to downward mobility - the kind of situation where weakening middle classes foment a latent inferiority complex and blame those below them for their loss of status, instead of the One Percenters who put them there in the first place. That was expanded upon in the Robert Reich link.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

ACT...
    <snigger>

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

Tonight's 3News:

Gower says Banks' return noted 45 anonymous donations totalling $638,512.

Len Brown appeared to be saying that SkyCity told him that they were donating to both himself and Banks.

• Russell Brown, in reply to 3410,

Yes, really.

Completely batshit. But possibly in a clever, distracting way.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to 3410,

Len Brown appeared to be saying that SkyCity told him that they were donating to both himself and Banks.

Big call for Len here, then. He's clearly been looking to not rock the boat lately, given the bullying that has come his way from central government. But if he's asked a direct question, he has no call to lie.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Russell Brown,

Completely batshit. But possibly in a clever, distracting way.

Insanity/memory loss defence, or the stress is getting to Banksie? Key will not be in the best of moods because he had an unlovely press conference today too. Poll darlings really loathe it when their luck turns; dummy-spitting coming soon.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

light blue touchpaper and retire...
    Why would John Banks phone Kim Dotcom, someone he says he hardly knows, to thank him for the $500,000 fireworks donation to a city he was no longer mayor of?
    Or was he thanking him for the invite to the exclusive waterside party that he watched said fireworks from that he allegedly hugged the Dotcoms on leaving?

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Or was he thanking him for the invite to the exclusive waterside party that he watched said fireworks from that he allegedly hugged the Dotcoms on leaving?

Nah, I would wager it's JB who invited Kim and Mona. The party being held at a prominent Property Developers apartment. I'd wager JB knew property developer like others from the National Party did.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

I'm wondering if the cops had a tap on Dotcom's phone in conjunction with the FBI investigation stuff? And if so, is the evidence admissable for other purposes?

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Russell Brown,

Insanity/memory loss defence, or the stress is getting to Banksie?

Nah, he's proud of being a twit. It's his thing.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Rich of Observationz,

I'm wondering if the cops had a tap on Dotcom's phone in conjunction with the FBI investigation stuff? And if so, is the evidence admissable for other purposes?

LOL, that's a thought. So some good may come of that debacle after all.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

Had to retract, on the grounds that not now 100% sure I heard right.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Actually, from that footage I saw on Friday(?) JB required all to stand and toast so it was JB who was big noting, otherwise it would have been the property developer owner, doing thanks etc in his own place, who as an aside I have no problem with.
    Banks was the host.

No need to remember helicopter flight. Log book (and pilot) confirm it.
    #Campbelllive

• Sacha,

My understanding is that the New Years fireworks came months *after* all this.

If they were arranged at around the same time, then someone has suggested to Banks in the last day or so that it might be a useful way to defuse the phone call evidence.

Campbell Live showed him being relentlessly on-message with a carefully crafted and rehearsed line about why would he thank an 'anonymous' donor.

• Sacha, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Campbell Live said on Friday that the birthday toast was at Dotcom's place, not Henderson's apartment.

My understanding is that the New Years fireworks came months *after* all this.

Yeah, I'm confused now. Need a timeline.

This is only getting bigger tomorrow. About half a million people just saw the Q+A performance for the first time on Close Up.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Actually, from that footage I saw on Friday(?) JB required all to stand and toast so it was JB who was big noting, otherwise it would have been the property developer owner, doing thanks etc in his own place, who as an aside I have no problem with.
    Banks was the host.

You're probably right, but I wonder if Banks isn't some kind of peculiarly NZ phenomenon. Like Tim Shadbolt and Michael Laws he's ostensibly a politician, but they don't stand for any kind of principle or belief beyond exploiting their recognition factor. Get Banksie to do the MC-ing, he's a pro, animatronic mouth & all. Like he's some kind of celebrant.

Do they have people like that in other countries? Australia has a few endemic species of political grotesque, but nothing quite like Banks, or those other professional Mayors of wherever will have them.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Sacha,

Sorry ,you are right.

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 12 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.