Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Of course it's about the book

194 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

• andrew llewellyn,

Hey Richard, nothing to do with Wellington vs Auckland, it's all about taking the cheap shots! Jo can tell us which bars have them too.

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report

• Alan Macdougall,

Even in his resignation speech he was defending the right of Hager to publish. Can any of you in your wildest dreams imagine Clark saying the same. Thought not. Dr Brash is a man of honour.

Lucky our politics isn't quite as bad as Italy yet, where uomo d’onore means something quite different...

Since Nov 2006 • 24 posts Report

• Joanna,

Jo can tell us which bars have them too.

That's true, I can. But to stop with the self-promotion and to get back on topic, I'm also wondering why it is that John Campbell has these special powers of injuction-fighting. Can someone explain it?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 746 posts Report

• BenWilson,

I see the injunction is lifted

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10412275

...does that mean the book will be on sale today? Would love to have some weekend reading.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

on another note, why is John Campbell the only interviewer who can admit to reading Hager's book while the injunction remains in force - Russell? I don't get that.

He got a copy, or a manuscript, well before the injunction was granted. No one can own up to having received a copy of the book after the injunction, because that could be a breach of the injunction (even though the book isn't specifically named, it contains some of the, ahem, "stolen" emails).

Interestingly, I believe the NZ Herald has a copy (probably legitmately obtained before the injunction) - and it won't let the Herald on Sunday look at it!

But anyway: NEWSFLASH!! The injunction was lifted about 10 minutes ago. 3 News should be good tonight ...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• hamishm,

I'm also wondering why it is that John Campbell has these special powers of injuction-fighting

If they got a copy before the injunction would he be able to read it but after the injunction, not be able to talk about it. But then why was only JC given a copy, TVNZ hadn't read it, which is why Brash wouldn't talk to them.
    Hagar and corngate and Campbell in the famous "little creep" interview?

Since Nov 2006 • 357 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

100% win for Hager:

However the conclusion has been reluctantly reached by the plaintiff that in order to be able to procure the book and to respond to its contents, as he is being asked to do by journalists, it would be necessary for the plaintiff to seek to have the interim injunction orders lifted.

http://img.scoop.co.nz/media/pdfs/0611/brashmemo.pdf

and

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0611/S00477.htm

• Michael Savidge,

Such is the world of leaks and sources I guess Hamish...__everyone__ has an agenda to serve...

And for interest to be sustained, it all has to be terribly murky...

Somewhere near Wellington… • Since Nov 2006 • 324 posts Report

• nzlemming,

<paraphrase>I lifted the injunction because I care about Nikky's book</paraphrase> - yeah, right. Not because the Party refused to finance it now he's not leader? Or because his legal team told him it would be money down the drain as the media would eventually win?

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Oh, and I'd be grateful for a report if anyone finds copies for sale in Auckland ...

• Peter Martin,

The game is afoot.......

What fun!

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 187 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

First story hits the wires.

• Michael Savidge,

• Dawn Tuffery,

The thought of frantic media immediately getting their fastest readers on the staff to sit down, speed through the book and collate the salient points fastest in order to get the story to the internet first is entertaining. I presume the other staff get to rally around them and chant 'Read! Read!" in the manner of a sculling competition.

It probably doesn't quite happen like that, but I like the idea.

Hamilton • Since Nov 2006 • 5 posts Report

• David Slack,

I presume the other staff get to rally around them and chant 'Read! Read!" in the manner of a sculling competition.

But not so speedy that they can't still provide a nice wry turn of phrase:

Students of election spending law, ethics and politics will quickly identify the problems inherent in this email.

Someone should buy those guys a beer tonight.

Devonport • Since Nov 2006 • 599 posts Report

• Danyl Mclauchlan,

I imagine they rip the book into quarters and split it up.

John Key is now insisting that while he did receive the 'smoking gun' email he didn't read it. Oh dear.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 927 posts Report

• David Slack,

I did not have email with those Brethren. Not one time.

And I did not inhale/open them.

Devonport • Since Nov 2006 • 599 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Wow. Who reckons "Liarbour" won't be such a funny joke any more?

Given the contacts outlined in those two stories, it's simply staggering that they held to their line for so long. Mind you, 'fessing up would have been pretty tricky too. Electoral Commission, police ...

• Michael Savidge,

Poor old John...

one of lifes fundamental problems...

whether to keep the news exclusive
    and pretend what you're doing is normal,

or....

have faith and expose yourself?

Ewww, it's ugly, put it away John...

• Russell Brown,

Check out the post Tim Barclay wrote fully half an hour after the news broke on Kiwiblog. Business as usual.

He's a trooper ain't he?

• Clarke,

The entire Kiwiblog thread is a delight ... DPF's misty-eyed view of Brash, and james.c's counterpoint:

An ode to Mr Burns, by Smithers.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 85 posts Report

• Danyl Mclauchlan,

I look forward to many Kiwiblog posts explaining in painstaking - yet somewhat opaque - detail why Nationals massive election fraud is totally different from Labours massive election fraud.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 927 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

The Scoop report is being frequently updated. This bit's fascinating:

"Press Gallery journalists tend to regard themselves as a fairly cynical and skeptical bunch, but I doubt that many considered for a more than a micro-second that the apparent gaff – a few short days before the election - when Dr Brash told BFm's Noelle McCarthy that he had indeed met with the Brethren and been told about their pamphlets was not a slip of the tongue but a carefully rehearsed line written for the National Party leader by his chief media minder Richard Long!"

• Russell Brown,

There's a scan of the killer email here

• Deborah,

The Scoop report is being frequently updated. This bit's fascinating:
    "Press Gallery journalists tend to regard themselves as a fairly cynical and skeptical bunch, but I doubt that many considered for a more than a micro-second that the apparent gaff – a few short days before the election - when Dr Brash told BFm's Noelle McCarthy that he had indeed met with the Brethren and been told about their pamphlets was not a slip of the tongue but a carefully rehearsed line written for the National Party leader by his chief media minder Richard Long!"

Yes, it is fascinating, not least because all the negatives are giving me a headache trying to sort out what the hell the writer is trying to say. So was it an innocent slip of the tongue, or a deliberate tactic?

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.