Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Wall and the Paper

297 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Newer→ Last

• peter mclennan,

If folks want to show their support for Askew and more lively street art instead of bland grey walls in AKLD, please sign the petition over at Sideroom.com.
    http://sideroom.com/magazine/petition-no-more-grey-walls/

Thanks for the mention, Russell. Look forward to seeing the show.

AK Central • Since Nov 2006 • 159 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

What's the legal basis for Auckland Council to paint over a privately owned wall without consent?

Is painting a wall a restricted activity in the district plan - if so they should get an enforcement notice, shouldn't they? Is there a by-law which allows the council to overpaint graffiti without the owners consent?

In teh absence of that, it's criminal damage on the part of the council, surely?

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• steve black, in reply to Rich of Observationz,

I would think it was a civil matter not criminal. Although we know from recent history that it becomes criminal if you kill the artist.

sunny mt albert • Since Jan 2007 • 116 posts Report Reply

• SteveH, in reply to steve black,

I would think it was a civil matter not criminal.

Why civil? If I go and graffiti my neighbour's house it is a criminal matter, is it not? How is the council painting a wall they do not have permission to paint any different?

Since Sep 2009 • 444 posts Report Reply

• Grant McDougall,

The Sunday Star Times is looking very directionless and confused, in general. The Sunday magazine is basically crap - umpteen pages of fashion advertorial and once-over-lightly features often just pinched from UK papers.

The "new" sections are only "new" in format and name, completely lacking anything actualy new, interesting and adventurous.

It is now almost as hopeless as the Listener.

Dunedin • Since Dec 2006 • 760 posts Report Reply

• Laura Vincent,

Will have to find this on demand as both topics sound extremely interesting. I feel angry every time I read Laws and dislike that he's got that platform, but also selfishly hope SST's numbers don't continue to fall, given the opportunities they've presented me with...

Peter, I saw that link on Twitter. Am enjoying reading the comments.

Wellington • Since Mar 2011 • 7 posts Report Reply

• BlairMacca,

I despair with our Sunday papers here. It is the biggest thing I miss from living in Dublin (albeit that you can get the UK papers). I am compelled to buy both the Sunday papers because it is a ritual to read them for me, but I am flying through them at a rate of knots now. I do actually like some of the new style of SST, particularly having the music, film and book reviews together. If they could just get rid of Michael Freakin Laws I would feel a bit better.

The Herald on Sunday is, IMHO, even worse.

Wellington • Since Apr 2007 • 208 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Former policeman Shields, as is clear in this New Zealand Herald video, is a man who loves his work:

Yes, his claim that people feel too scared to go out because of graffiti is probably true, but it does rather say to me that said people should harden the fuck up.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

I am one of those people that the SST targets as a potential subscriber and I get free offers of papers from time to time, including at the moment. The last two feature Michael Laws at his ugliest, so hardly any inducement to subscribe.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Graham Dunster,

The only real reason to continue to buy the SST is Rod Oram's business column.

Auckland • Since Nov 2009 • 184 posts Report Reply

• James W,

Re: SST

When you're losing sales to a competitor you know what always works? Copying the competitor.

It's like all those iPod knock-offs, they've done so well. Or that singer who's a lot like Lady Gaga. Or that movie that was like Twilight. It's surely just an aberration that CNN continues to lose viewers to FOX News, despite increasingly copying FOX's style.

History really respects those who were there second, who refused to forge their own path, to take risks, to try something new. Good on ya, Sunday Star-Times.

Since Jul 2008 • 136 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to James W,

When you're losing sales to a competitor you know what always works? Copying the competitor.

See also Phil Goff. /threadmerge

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Re: SST

It's like all those iPod knock-offs, they've done so well. Or that singer who's a lot like Lady Gaga. Or that movie that was like Twilight. It's surely just an aberration that CNN continues to lose viewers to FOX News, despite increasingly copying FOX's style.

History really respects those who were there second, who refused to forge their own path, to take risks, to try something new. Good on ya, Sunday Star-Times.

Android phones? :)

Good post, but.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Richard Aston,

What on earth are the SST doing ditching Finlay Macdonald’s intelligent column, turfing the eloquent Steve Braunias while elevating Michael Laws?
    The format changes are kind of interesting, so many inserts, including inserts inside inserts – it was like one of those Russian Dolls, vaguely reminiscent of pass the parcel, all rather fun on a Sunday morning. When I finally got to the last doll / parcel and found no Finlay McDonald, no Braunias and no majorly inspiring content to offset this loss ( I never read the Laws pieces – I don't do despair on a Sunday). I went out to my garden – tossing the paper in the compost on my way. What a shame.

Northland • Since Nov 2006 • 510 posts Report Reply

• Nick Kearney, in reply to Graham Dunster,

The only real reason to continue to buy the SST is Rod Oram’s business column.

Nah.

That would be my reason for cancelling my subscription.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 73 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Rich Lock,

Android phones? :)

...which I just lurve mine.
    Also, I must go photograph the corner of Morningside and New North Rds just in case....
    How is anyone scared of street art?I mean c'mon guys!

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Richard Aston,

Thanks Nick - you reminded me of one good reason to keep my subscription - Rod Oram's column - that man should be advising govt

Northland • Since Nov 2006 • 510 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to BenWilson,

Yes, his claim that people feel too scared to go out because of graffiti is probably true, but it does rather say to me that said people should harden the fuck up.

Probably the same McMansion dwellers who cotton wool themselves and their kids behind razor wires and concrete walls. And whinge about how society is going soft and PC. And then the pot said to the kettle...

How is anyone scared of street art?I mean c'mon guys!

Entartete Kunst 2.0, anybody?

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Heather Gaye, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Also, I must go photograph the corner of Morningside and New North Rds just in case….

That’s the view from my bedroom window. Suffice it to say, I’m more than a little apprehensive about its future.

Just as an aside – the other day my flatmate drew my attention to a bunch of people getting wedding photos taken in front of that particular piece. He thought it was all kinds of wrong, but I reckon that’d be the coolest wedding album ever. Granted, when I asked him what kind of wedding photos he'd want, he said "none at all".

Morningside • Since Nov 2006 • 533 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to Richard Aston,

What on earth are the SST doing ditching Finlay Macdonald’s intelligent column, turfing the eloquent Steve Braunias while elevating Michael Laws?

I'm sure that what Michael Laws writes gets much more exposure than anything Finlay Macdonald or Steve Braunias ever wrote (example: this blog post). After all, any publicity is good publicity, right? Right? Anyone?

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to James Butler,

After all, any publicity is good publicity, right? Right? Anyone?

No. I would probably buy the Dominion Post if it was just mediocre, as opposed to both mediocre and racist.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• David Herkt,

I don't miss Braunias - wittering Kiwiana has only so much to give and he's been on repeat for a very long time. I eventually found Findlay Macdonald's brand of Public Intellectual just as annoying as Emily Perkin's Public Writer. Strangely, I do miss Rosemary McLeod...

I guess the age of the considered newspaper columnist is over - bloggers rule in that sphere. So, in the SST, it seems we are left with the deliberately unpleasant shock-jockery. Unless we find the SST readership complaining while simultaneously cancelling their subscriptions (something those inspired could also do in emails to those who advertise on Law's radio-show) this will not change.

But that 30,000 slide should give some room for reflection. I can't see alterations in layout or columnists affecting this. The dumbing-down (vide TVNZ) is simply going to continue in what seems to be some sort of awful species-drive toward eventual entropy.

I have always thought New Zealanders are simply not suited to the unpleasantries we think are required by Capitalism (especially in our odd shut-in's version of it - and especially not in our media). We should simply settle down to being the nice face of eco-tourism.

So bring back Rosemary. Those occasional columns on knitting and tea-pot cosies were little masterpieces.

[Russell, btw, I have to admit the phrase 'in defence of Jonathan Marshall's honour' is a great one. I bow in admiration...]

Auckland • Since Sep 2007 • 53 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams, in reply to David Herkt,

Strangely, I do miss Rosemary McLeod...

I disagree. McLeod's not said anything new, constructive or insightful for years. She mightn't be as regularly offensive as Laws but I recall this thoroughly trivial piece full of false praise for Helen Clark (and including gratuitous criticism of Grant Robertson's win in Wellington Central). Trite bullshit.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Heather Gaye,

It's a great wall. I'm guessing you may be in that leaky looking building :) I imagine that wall would be great for many photographic essays including weddings that you mention.Recently watched "Exit thru the Gift Shop" and I was impressed at all the interpretations on that. Street Art, gold!

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• JLM, in reply to Graham Dunster,

Is that why Oram's latest column isn't online?

Judy Martin's southern sl… • Since Apr 2007 • 241 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.