Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Kittens and puppies for happiness

131 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Hilary Stace, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Sirenians rule, and I have a great deal of faith in Hugh Manatee.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report

• Jacqui Dunn,

OK - here are two animal stories that feature my brother.

I had an elderly female cat, and my brother came to stay. Mrs Daffs was a bit scrawny at the time, well and truly getting on in years, but still liked to rule the roost (she was one of three cats I had). My bro was sitting in the only easy chair in the dining room when the old lady stalked in and sat looking at him. "What are you looking at, cat?" he said, and then went on to talk about how rather bedraggled she was. Mrs Daffs walked across the room, and jumped on to the arm of the chair. She then turned her back on him, lifted her tail, and sprayed him - well, for females it's more of a tinkling - but she got him!

He didn't learn from that, I have to say. Some years later, when I lived in a different house, I had a friend and her old blind blue heeler staying. My brother came to visit again. He was outside, having a smoke when Jane and dog arrived back after a walk. "Hello, Jane," he said, and then added something quite disparaging about the old dog, who was walking past him as he said it. The old lady did a u-turn, sauntered back and sniffed around his foot, gave him a nip to be getting on with, and trotted off after her mistress.

We laughed and laughed. Bro didn't though.

Oh, and on a more sober note, the camels in the car made me very uneasy. I knew someone who went to do the Haj who said that in order to keep the meat fresher, butchers would cut off the legs of camels first. I don't know how long an animal will survive after that sort of treatment, but no doubt they wouldn't be happy.

Deepest, darkest Avondale… • Since Jul 2010 • 585 posts Report

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Jacqui Dunn,

At the moment, my darling girl (dog, not cat) - who is 10 and pretty much on her last-ish legs due to poor health - poos outside my bedroom door every morning at about 3am. Is it coincidence? I think not. She knows that I have been talking about her demise lately, and watching anxiously for signs of her decline. And I think she's telling me to watch my back. Or feet, as the case may be.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• Jacqui Dunn, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Oh yes. Keep your pesky thoughts to yourself, that says.

• Tui Hill,

Maru - better than Prozac, with no side-effects except occasional hysterical laughter. Trust me on this one. Try"Many too small boxes and Maru" for a taster

Wellington • Since Jan 2010 • 2 posts Report

• Rex Widerstrom,

Hey ladies, we hear you is likin' the unicornios so we's put on our special outfits jus' for you.

Meanwhile, evidence our feline overlords will be benign. If we have enough balls of string, presumably.

Perth, Western Australia • Since Nov 2006 • 157 posts Report

• Rex Widerstrom,

Apropos of nothing to do with the topic, if only Steve Braunias had thought to send an e-card instead of an e-mail. (NSFW, or those offended by colourful language)

Perth, Western Australia • Since Nov 2006 • 157 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Rex Widerstrom,

rainblow* coloured, yet

not a spelling error, tho' maybe an error of taste...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Danielle,

I have been pondering how best to commemorate Bobby's awesome Hard News shoutout. Should I start scrapbooking?

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• Lara,

Christchurch • Since Jul 2009 • 82 posts Report

• Kracklite,

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report

• Jacqui Dunn, in reply to Kracklite,

Well, is that guy asking for a pissed-on shoulder, or what?

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Danielle,

I think so. My mum does it. My best friend does it. I believe you should do it.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• nzlemming, in reply to Kracklite,

Spider Jerusalem, FTW! Love that series.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

• Lilith __,

For anyone who has somehow missed this gem:

And thanks for all the cute, everybody. It's just what I needed. :-)

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report

• johnno,

wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 111 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to johnno,

I agree! Owls are wonderful birds - and that one was after a slender quickmoving insect that kept ducking between the aluminium frame & the sill.

I like it's chagrin at the end, and the unmistakable glare "Just get your phuquing camera outa my face!"

Weedy sea dragons:

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• webweaver, in reply to 3410,

OMG are those really real? They're AWESOME!

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 332 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to webweaver,

Totally real good person- never eat/buy/use anything that has seahorse/manaia in it-

• Kracklite,

OK, ignore all the "killer" hype. Really, they're cute (but then I like spiders too):

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Kracklite,

Fastest movers in the world! And, beeyootiful with it-
    a fellow arachnophile-

• Geoff Lealand,

As we are celebrating the sweet and cheerful, everyone should get along to the new NZ film My Wedding and Other Secrets

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report

• Laura Vincent,

Maru!!!!! Can't express my love for that cat in reasonable manner, hence the excessive punctuation. This was seriously good for the soul.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned so far - for those who haven't heard of them already, I find the magical wonder of the capybara, and the captions on this site dedicated to them, pretty cheering. http://bit.ly/6NLX8q

Wellington • Since Mar 2011 • 7 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

everyone should get along to the new NZ film My Wedding and Other Secrets

Interview of the two leads by TV3's Kate Rodger:

And the real Roseanne Liang discusses briefly whether her dad or partner would win a fight:

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.