Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: #JohnDotBanks and all

281 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Newer→ Last

• BenWilson, in reply to Kumara Republic,

Pattrick Smellie theorises in BusinessDay that Johnny Boy's 'teflon coating' is to do with American-style red-blue state polarisation landing in NZ:

Could be, but I am quite suspicious of suggestions that rules are changing just because a herd moves in one direction for longer than expected. Herds can turn fast sometimes. Perhaps there's no magic phenomenon at work with John Key, he's just a bubble that gets big before it pops. Will Banks be the prick to pop him?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Kumara Republic,

New Zealanders are sceptical, clever people

..who know a gutless opposition is not worth voting for or listening to. Simpler theory.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Sacha,

New Zealanders are sceptical, clever people

..who know a gutless opposition is not worth voting for or listening to. Simpler theory.

Also a more tedious one.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

And this morning's story:

Kim Dotcom says he will produce financial records to back up his allegation that he gave $50,000 to Act leader John Banks' 2010 mayoral campaign after Mr Banks yesterday said the Herald's report of those claims was "mostly BS".

• Ross Francis, in reply to Russell Brown,

Interestingly, the same story suggests that Dotcom asked for Banks' assistance following his arrest and Banks was unhelpful. It seems that sometimes money doesn't talk.

Wairarapa • Since Apr 2012 • 26 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Whale Oil thinks Banks has nothing to worry about. I mention this only because the comments are so utterly deranged.

• Russell Brown,

Good roundup of what people are saying and the history of cabbage boats from Toby Manhire.

• nzlemming,

Also in the DomPost this morning, Bronwyn Pullar recorded the meeting with the ACC and their report doesn't match their words.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

The Prime Minister on Breakfast this morning:

But Key said he asked Banks if he had acted within the law and received an assurance that he had.

"He either complied with the law or he didn't. He said he did - I have absolutely no reason to doubt him," Key told TV ONE's Breakfast this morning.

"In all the experiences I have had with him as a minister he has never misled me."

However, Key said he did not ask Banks if he asked Dotcom to split the $50,000 in two. "That's not my job to do a forensic investigation.

"I accept him at his word [and] if people don't believe that, they're free to test that with the police.

"The same Labour Party that criticised me [over the Teapot saga] I'm sure will be trudging off to see the boys in blue this morning."

Ahem.

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

the history of cabbage boats from Toby Manhire.

I knew he'd find that angle irresistable.

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

Whale Oil thinks Banks has nothing to worry about

Both of them have such outstanding legal minds, after all.

But Key said he asked Banks if he had acted within the law and received an assurance that he had.

Like I say, outstanding.

• nzlemming, in reply to Russell Brown,

Whale Oil thinks Banks has nothing to worry about. I mention this only because the comments are so utterly deranged.

Urrrh. I never thought I'd visit a website that made Kiwibog look sane.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole, in reply to Russell Brown,

Whale Oil

We appreciate your sacrifice, Russell. Deity knows I wouldn't go in there!

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole, in reply to nzlemming,

There's a reason the Blubbery Cetacean's lair is considered unholy ground by much of the sane portion of society.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to nzlemming,

try Not PC or No Minister #nutbars

Cartoon.
    Haha.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens, in reply to 3410,

Question: Why would someone ask for 2 x $25k rather than 1 x $50k?

Putting on my "think like John Banks hat" I see that Banks got five "anonymous" donations of 25k, of which only two were from Kim Dotcom. As a paid up member of the sharp practice, smart-alec Auckland business elite, Banks probably thinks he is safe in claiming that he doesn't know which PARTICULAR 25k donation came from who.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Russell Brown,

No True Scotsman, methinks? And it’s not the first time, either. Denial is the last refuge of the cornered.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Tom Semmens,

that he doesn’t know which PARTICULAR 25k donation came from who.

That is probably what the Police can let him off with. Reasonable doubt.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• merc, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

That is probably what the Police can let him off with. Reasonable doubt

Until he rings the guy up to thank him for his donation.
    Question to Banks; did you ring Dotcom and thank him for his donation?

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Alec Morgan,

Banksie may well squiggle out of the 50 ‘big ones’ on a technicality. But as ‘Rodders’ discovered after eventually coughing up for his UK gal pal trip, his political career was effectively over in any event.

And so with Epsom, if the end result is bye bye ACT that will do me because then the Nats will have to front their own private prison, small govt. charter school right wingery.

Tokerau Beach • Since Nov 2006 • 124 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Alec Morgan,

Banksie may well squiggle out of the 50 ‘big ones’ on a technicality. But as ‘Rodders’ discovered after eventually coughing up for his UK gal pal trip, his political career was effectively over in any event.

And this seems likely to be the real issue for Key. He can't get rid of Banks as things stand, but Banks' continued presence is going to be poisonous.

• Scott Chris, in reply to Ian MacKay,

John Key could do something visible like, umm like in front of MSM, have a cup of tea.

Presumably they’d split the pot so that no one could say who had had which cup of tea.

Auckland • Since Feb 2012 • 167 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens,

The general point from 2011 hasn't changed - ACT is now so politically toxic that if Jesus Christ himself were to become leader of that party he'd be linked to Judas's silver scam. National made a serious political strategic error in choosing to keep alive a party that should instead have had it's life support switched off and left to die.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Tom Semmens,

National made a serious political strategic error in choosing to keep alive a party that should instead have had it's life support switched off and left to die.

Except that they need that one seat otherwise they might not actually be the government. Which would also be a political strategic error.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.