Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Dropping the Bomber

389 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 Newer→ Last

• andin, in reply to DCBCauchi,

The glorious thing about people is that they’re all unique, each sees the world in their own way, from their own perspective, their own point of view.

But surely we can have one thing in common...just one.....as big or as small as you wish to make it, But dont make it too complicated....just saying. Or did you say that? Ideas will come no doubt.....common cause 'n all, anyway.
    That RNZ eh! bunch of.... fill the missing word in.

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

pearl-clutching

That's the sort of phrase that sounds like it should be an erotic act..

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to DCBCauchi,

we are off-topic

in the royal sense

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

seriously calling [Key] a psychopath

Possible but unproven

a sociopath

Undoubtedly

..and an alcoholic

No evidence for that, as yet. Many senior politicians wind up that way, though.

Personally, I just reckon he's become seriously jumpy about his personal security - a combination of believing the self-serving fairy (or monster) stories he gets from career securocrats, and not having come up through the ranks of being a minister.

That outburst in the house had the hallmarks of "OMG they're coming to shoot me!".

Does he still wait in the Koro lounge, or do the tarmac transfer/private jet thing?

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

There's nothing close to defamatory about the "meth addict" comment - Bradbury merely compared Key to one, not implied that he was one.

This one might be a little less clear cut:

What does a $43 million loan to Mediaworks buy you on Radio Live? Apparently an hour of John Key avoiding answering any questions on politics.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to DCBCauchi,

Seriously though, and it’s been mentioned before, sunlight is among the best disinfectants. Highly propagandistic leaders rely on secrecy and widespread ignorance on how they operate, and nothing makes a well-spun issue come unstuck like airing its dirty laundry. It worked for Hugh Grant with the Spews of the World affair, and it might just work for Wikileaks if it can get its act together.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Biobbs, in reply to Rich of Observationz,

I think it's similar to saying "Pixies: just a band" on bFM.

No, because saying 'Pixies: just a band' really is silly. That's like saying "Everest: just a mountain". "Laphroaig: just a whisky". "Michael Phelps: just a swimmer".

The River Mouth, Denmark • Since Jan 2011 • 114 posts Report Reply

• Kerryn Pollock,

The administrator of the Afternoons page on Facebook has been removing all comments about BB, aside from those perhaps more cleverly added to posts made by Afternoons. Pretty weird. Paranoid even.

Wellington • Since Oct 2011 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Kracklite, in reply to Biobbs,

“Everest: just a mountain”.

Bah. Olympus Mons - now there's a mountain.

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace, in reply to Kerryn Pollock,

People commenting on the the Radio New Zealand Facebook page are pretty angry about it.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Except that whole page has now disappeared!

• Kracklite, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Reminds me of the "I'd love to see wages drop" affair and the pressure brought to bear after that.

And our loyal opposition?

<sound of crickets>

No doubt a focus group will suggest what to say soonish.

It’s a pretty fundamental principle of civil rights, specifically the right to free speech and a free media, I would think. A party or parties less obsessed with pursuing demographic groups (with utter incompetence as it is) and more concerned with articulating universal principles might have something to say.

And say it twice, and consistently.

BTW, Nightline "update" mentioned Key being "busted for lying in Parliament".

Naturally, no coverage elsewhere, so what was that about?

• Hilary Stace,

Clare Curran wrote a post yesterday.

• Hilary Stace, in reply to 3410,

Details on Red Alert and it is well covered on interest.co.nz, and of course, the Standard.

• Grant McDougall,

I listened to Bomber's spiel in real time as it unfolded what struck me about it wasn't that he had a go at Key. That in itself was utterly predictable.

What was different, however, was the way he said what he said. His previous pot-shots at Key, which have often been just as critical, have always been delivered in a measured, reasonable tone. He's been critical, but in a civilised, mature tone.

Last week's one, however, was different: right from the start it was loud, boisterous and shouting. He wasn't talking to us, he was talking at us. As a consequence, rather than coming across as opinionated but mature, he came across as boorish and petulant.

It was a spectacularly ill-judged way in which to deliver his statement. He sounded like an immature, whining brat. I can understand his anger, but the way he vocally projected it reflected badly on him. For me, it wasn't what he said, but the way he said it.

As an aside, I always like Richard Langston's appearances on the panel, he's informative, plus he often has funny anecdotes.

Dunedin • Since Dec 2006 • 760 posts Report Reply

• 3410, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Thanks, Hilary. Now I remember from this morning.

• Steve Parks, in reply to 3410,

You mean the Standard and Poors issue? It was covered well on TV3.

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report Reply

• 3410, in reply to Steve Parks,

Yep, that's it. I missed the 6 o'clock news.

• Kracklite, in reply to Hilary Stace,

I’m sorry, but that simply epitomises Labour’s failure to formulate an effective media strategy. I know that it’s sincerely intended, but how many people read Beige Alert? Does anything posted there get out into the broader arena? No.

And T’ Standard?!

There’s a word for that: solipsism.

Sermons to fora composed entirely of a bastard mix of the choir and some trolls are guaranteed to be forgotten.

• Sacha, in reply to Biobbs,

"Laphroaig: just a whisky"

Don't get our host started on that one..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Kracklite, in reply to Sacha,

I chose to ignore that, myself. I was motivated by some desperate desire to simulate tact, I think.

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Kracklite,

Olympus Mons – now there’s a mountain.

and in second place rising from the bottom of the
    crater Rheasilvia on the asteroid Vesta

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Kerryn Pollock, in reply to Hilary Stace,

I've since realized that the comments are kinda hidden (but not deleted) because Afternoon's page is set to show Afternoon's postings only by default. You have to select other people's comments to see them.

Wellington • Since Oct 2011 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Kracklite, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

A fascinating world in miniature, anthologising the major features of terrestrial planets. I can't wait to see what Dawn finds at Ceres in 2015!

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.