259 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 Newer→ Last

• David Hood,

Attachment

This was another

Dunedin • Since May 2007 • 1445 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to David Hood,

Attachment

Amazing stuff David, time travel. Hope you don't mind, but I couldn't resist trying a quick & dirty adjustment.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Thomas Johnson, in reply to David Hood,

Attachment

I wonder what they are doing with the bonnet open there?

Here's one of my fathers slides. Camping in the 1950's with VW and Dad's Austin A30.

Not the flashest cars really, but what was affordable. My father owned a car before his parents.

Wellington • Since Oct 2007 • 98 posts Report Reply

• Raymond A Francis,

Learnt to drive in a 1959 Ford, parking has been easy ever since
    It still lives locally but the amount of gas needed keeps it at home I would guess
    It has only had two owners, us and them

45' South • Since Nov 2006 • 578 posts Report Reply

• Christopher Dempsey, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Heh, modern life: when I saw that photo of your Dad, David, and his school mates standing around the car, I automatically assumed that the boys in the back of the picture around the car were busy texting, so similar the position is texting to playing cards…

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart, in reply to Christopher Dempsey,

I automatically assumed that the boys in the back of the picture around the car were busy texting

At first glance I had assumed about four of them were rolling cigarettes.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Cleaning spark plugs? Cards and possibly one rolling?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• David Hood,

I think the story was playing cards while trying to get the front car working

Dunedin • Since May 2007 • 1445 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Julie Cross,

A propos of cars in the 60’s, this is what all the best babies were wearing. And yes, the car is a Morris Minor.

Nice one Jackie. Love the car restraint. It may just be family legend, but rumour has it I slept on the parcel tray behind the back seat of our Volkswagon beetle. Nice and warm above the motor, and soporific engine sounds as a lullaby. Ahh.

one Austin Mini

Hey! My Mini 1000 used to fly round those old country roads. ;-) Loved that car. Until I blew it up while at uni.

ETA: Replying to two people at once. Never goes quite according to plan.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to JacksonP,

Well yes. I do remember quite often, as a young 'un travelling in the seat well behind the front passenger seat.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Julie Cross, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Joe, I am a friend of John's on Facebook and get the photos on a daily basis, complete with local commentary. Much better but I suspect this started as frippery and has gained momentum and Jalbum is an easy organiser if not a friendly one. Perhaps one day cars on main street will have its own website thingy. Pleased you took a peek.

Australia • Since Nov 2011 • 120 posts Report Reply

• Julie Cross, in reply to JacksonP,

Attachment

Hey! My Mini 1000 used to fly round those old country roads. ;-)

Did we race? Mine was only 850cc. 1964, I think. Still used to fly - proximity to the ground, I believe, you could hear the gravel whistling... I would share an interior pic of the hounds-tooth upholstery, but a stuffed dog and bubble gum jeans have photo-bombed that shot. There are limits.

Love Jackie's car seat shot... I had the same one I think. This blog really inspires digging out half remembered images.

Australia • Since Nov 2011 • 120 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Julie Cross,

Thanks again Julie, they really are great pictures, you can feel something of the fun that went into making them. Greytown seems to work like the great leveller, the sublime and the downright silly all end up looking equally cool.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Julie Cross,

Yeah, the only shot of my 77 mini has 5 people hanging out the windows.

I’m finding it harder than expected to locate images of cars. Our 1965 Singer Gazelle was a beauty, but haven’t found a decent shot yet. Except the one on our wedding day.

Might save that for a rainy day.

• Thomas Johnson,

Regarding the original images on Queen St, this 'drama' from NZ On Screen is relevant

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/queen-street-1980

Wellington • Since Oct 2007 • 98 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Thomas Johnson,

Queen St, this 'drama' from NZ On Screen is relevant

Amazing.

Jane Campion, 2nd Ass. Director

<cough>
    Also starring mister Pork Pie himself, Kelly Johnson.

• Jake Pollock,

Attachment

Taxis in Calcutta.

Raumati South • Since Nov 2006 • 489 posts Report Reply

• Jake Pollock, in reply to JacksonP,

I’m finding it harder than expected to locate images of cars.

It is often thought that cars are difficult to photograph because their dimensions make it tricky to capture the dynamics of their design from a fixed perspective, and that they’re better understood in three dimensions. Actually it’s because most of them are very shy and try to hide whenever someone brings out a camera.

Raumati South • Since Nov 2006 • 489 posts Report Reply

• James Butler,

I had a quick look over the weekend for my late Dad's pics of his various '60s DKWs... can't find them, Mum must have them in Oz. Damn.

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to James Butler,

I now how you feel. Although I feel like a hog over on the Capture threads, I still instructed Dad to bring me the case of photos so I can rescan. I’ve been thinking about my grandmother in Chch in her drive way in Papanui posing proudly in front of her 64 Mustang, in all it’s pearlescent pale blue glory. Imagine finding that when returning home from a cruise. My uncle on seeing her love of it whilst she was visiting, promptly sent it ahead of her. Geez he was a cool dude.
    Now that would be combining Chch and Flash cars. :)

• James Butler, in reply to JacksonP,

One of my dream cars. Southward car museum.

Yeah, I love Tatras too.

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Julie Cross,

but a stuffed dog and bubble gum jeans have photo-bombed that shot. There are limits.

LOL!

• Kebabette,

Attachment

The mighty Riley Elf - car of my childhood & still one of my faves.

Christchurch • Since Feb 2007 • 221 posts Report Reply

• Kebabette,

Attachment

A Standard Vanguard Phase III shown being assembled and some more nice car pics from Christchurch City Libraries http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=29328098@N06&q=cars

• Kebabette,

Attachment

Cars on Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch 1945 http://www.flickr.com/photos/christchurchcitylibraries/2769904859/

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.