Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Solemnity of the Day

146 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• izogi, in reply to Paul Campbell,

Why not open the thread on polling experiences now?

I voted this morning from Australia, and if I wasn't already loosely following the election in NZ I don't think I'd have realised there was one, except that the electoral commission (knowing where I lived from me having pro-actively updated the roll) sent me a letter some time back telling me how to download special voting papers, and last week the Green Party sent me a letter, bulk-sent from a mail centre outside Melbourne, reminding me that there was an election coming and suggesting why I should vote for them. Historically it makes some sense that the only party I heard from when overseas was the Green Party.

Yesterday browsing a random blog I discovered the election was actually this weekend, and that I'd have to figure out very smartly how to get my vote in. It turns out that after printing the form (I don't own a printer) I'd need to either fax the forms (I don't own a fax), or put the various forms into three separate envelopes (only a coincidence I actually own any envelopes), then either post it to arrive before Friday (I don't own any stamps so that'd have been a hassle) or drop it into one of two posts in all of Victoria. Fortunately they're both within 10 minutes walk of where I work in the CBD, so I hopped over to the Victorian Electoral Commission today during my lunch break with my two labelled sealed envelopes inside a third sealed envelope. T'was all part of the process of being a voter overseas, I guess, and I probably had it very easy by comparison, but I'm glad I didn't have to bother with trying to post anything!

I offered to drop a form in for my wife, who works well out of town, but she's not keen on voting because she doesn't have a clue what's been happening in NZ over the past year or so, and generally thinks all politicians are slimy and manipulative.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 1142 posts Report Reply

• Kyhwana,

Also, i'm told by someone from the EC (I assume) that we should observe the "spirit" of the law.

Except you can vote early and on the way to the voting booth you can still be advertised at/influenced!

https://www.facebook.com/IvoteNZ/posts/248098428578290

Hamilton • Since Jul 2011 • 14 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Andrew, in reply to izogi,

offered to drop a form in for my wife, who works well out of town, but she's not keen on voting because she doesn't have a clue what's been happening in NZ over the past year or so, and generally thinks all politicians are slimy and manipulative.

So she is up to date then...

Hamiltron - City of the F… • Since Nov 2006 • 900 posts Report Reply

• izogi, in reply to Jeremy Andrew,

So she is up to date then...

Yeah, but somehow she doesn't feel the same ethical obligation as myself to rank the alternatives.

• Susannah Shepherd, in reply to Emma Hart,

I have to have my phone off from 8am to about 10pm. I dunno how I'm going to cope. I need someone to sneak me count updates from Ohariu.

Good luck with that one... I remember the contortions of trying to get an 'unauthorised' pizza into the count - we had a complex polling station handling three electorates, so the count took much longer than normal. IIRC we ultimately had to resort to some sort of 'airlock' system to get the thing in. Then again, you could get someone to slip notes into the pizza box on the way.

Wellington • Since Jan 2008 • 58 posts Report Reply

• Ken Sparks,

I liked Bryan Bruce's idea that we should have a Minister for Children and that it should be the Prime Minister. It might help the person in that very important role to get a longer term perspective. We certainly don't have much to be proud of when it comes to looking out for kids from low income families and that needs to change - quickly...

Cox’s Creek • Since Apr 2011 • 60 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Ken Sparks,

Bryan Bruce's idea

Labour policy isn't it?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Zach Bagnall,

Surely voting distortion due to Canada's numerous timezones pales in comparison to the distortion caused by their FPP electoral system..

Colorado • Since Nov 2006 • 121 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Zach Bagnall,

Surely voting distortion due to Canada’s numerous timezones pales in comparison to the distortion caused by their FPP electoral system..

The ProgCons in the 1993 Canada elections come to mind.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart, in reply to izogi,

It turns out that after printing the form (I don’t own a printer) I’d need to either fax the forms (I don’t own a fax), or put the various forms into three separate envelopes (only a coincidence I actually own any envelopes), then either post it to arrive before Friday (I don’t own any stamps so that’d have been a hassle) or drop it into one of two posts in all of Victoria.

C'mon, though, they're pretty much giving you all the options they can. (And when you download the voting papers, the due dates are given pretty prominently in the instructions, and also on the website.) You can also *post* it to your local consulate, which is the option we picked.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• Tamsin6,

I'm filling in my voting forms now. I think I'm going to need more envelopes.

London • Since Dec 2007 • 133 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Lucy Stewart,

Yes, the only way they could have made it absolutely minimal in cost for remote voters would be to send SSAEs on demand, addressed to the most local consulate. I think that there is an argument that if you're miles out in some remote country far from NZ, that it's not on the NZ taxpayer to seek you out personally, and that if you have to go to the trouble to work out the postal service there, that's fair enough.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Heavens!
    I haz teh dreamz... the Gnatschnell Party is providing a free solar eclipse for all Gnu Cylinders on the eve of the general election... Mr Key promises to return the sun to the sky if everyone does the Right thing on Saturday, but I suspect such a portentous event will cause the pagan Epsomebodies to sacrifice Mr Banks just in case - by tearing the still bleating heart from ACT.

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Stewart,

ACT has a heart ? Who knew?

Te Ika A Maui - Whakatane… • Since Oct 2008 • 577 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz, in reply to izogi,

Brits are theoretically eligible to vote for 20 years from leaving the country.

But you have to register every year (no reminders) and have to use the ballot papers sent, which typically arrive by mail a week before election day, giving you very little time to get them back. The only way to vote reliably is to have a proxy (who has to live in your old electorate) vote for you.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Seriously, what’s the argument against fixing the election date on (say) the Saturday after the third Friday in November? The only exception being the Government losing confidence or supply, in which case the election is held at a time determined by statute NOT the strategic convenience of the Prime Minister.

I'm in favour of this in theory, but I wonder about practicalities. How many similar Westminster systems have a fixed electoral date? Work OK?

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• dc_red, in reply to Kyle Matthews,

Canada has fixed election date laws in place at the Federal level, and in many Provinces.

They are routinely ignored: for example, when a PM (Federal) or Premier (Provincial) is replaced by someone new who wants to "refresh their mandate", or an incumbent is simply frustrated by their Opposition and fancies their chances of winning greater representation via another election.

The constitutional power of the PM or Premier to instruct the Governor-General (Federal) or Lieutenant-General (Provincial) to dissolve the House and call an election is unchanged.

Pure political theatre, particularly on the part of various right-wing parties.

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• Heather Gaye,

I'm going to advance vote, in my Greens t-shirt. Am I going to have to change my facebook profile pic on Saturday though?

Apropos of nothing, has anyone seen Jacinda Ardern's billboard on Bond Street (Kingsland)? It's been graffitied - with lots of little yellow love-hearts.

Morningside • Since Nov 2006 • 533 posts Report Reply

• izogi, in reply to Lucy Stewart,

C'mon, though, they're pretty much giving you all the options they can.

Yes and like I mentioned I think it was easy by comparison. There's only so much that can be done for people overseas. I just miss being able to drop into a nearby polling booth. It's my first time stuck outside NZ during an election and it feels isolated over here.

I feel miffed that the Green Party was the only one that tried to chase me for a vote. Did anyone else overseas hear anything direct from any other parties? :P

• Lucy Stewart, in reply to izogi,

It’s my first time stuck outside NZ during an election and it feels isolated over here.

I feel miffed that the Green Party was the only one that tried to chase me for a vote. Did anyone else overseas hear anything direct from any other parties? :P

I hear ya. We're making our American friends stay up to watch the election results with us. It's really odd to care so much about something and know that no-one else around you is even aware it's happening.

I think my Labour membership has lapsed, but I've certainly got a lot of email from them about how to vote and that I can vote. Haven't heard from anyone else - but then, none of them have my email or address, so I wouldn't expect to, and would be a bit miffed if they'd managed to get their hands on them.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• FletcherB, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

The only exception being the Government losing confidence or supply, in which case the election is held at a time determined by statute NOT the strategic convenience of the Prime Minister.

Surely, if you wanted to call a snap election under such rules.... you'd just call for a confidence vote and lose it on purpose?

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to izogi,

We had a tea-time telephone call from our Prime Minister last evening. Did everyone get one or were we winkled out as swingers or potentially so?

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• SteveH,

Does anyone even know how to "disable" comments on a Facebook page?

It's pretty easy to stop people commenting on your wall. go to Privacy Settings, How You Connect and set Who can post on your Wall? to Only Me.

Since Sep 2009 • 444 posts Report Reply

• izogi, in reply to Lucy Stewart,

but then, none of them have my email or address, so I wouldn’t expect to, and would be a bit miffed if they’d managed to get their hands on them.

I thought the Green Party took my aussie postal address from the electoral roll. I can't think how else they'd have gotten it, but there are probably easily enough kiwis in Australia that it makes sense to bulk-mail domestically. I know the Greens traditionally gain the most, but I'm still surprised nobody else even tried, at least in my direction.

• Russell Brown, in reply to SteveH,

It’s pretty easy to stop people commenting on your wall. go to Privacy Settings, How You Connect and set Who can post on your Wall? to Only Me.

Fair enough. Facebook's a mystery to me.

But is it reasonable to expect people to disable comments that have no connection to the election at all?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.