Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: This Is Not A Complicated Issue

277 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Newer→ Last

• WaterDragon,

It's also staightforward from a rights perspective . Article 29 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (or as Australians call it disco) mandates it Article 29 says disabled people have the right to stand in elections, hold office, carry out any and all functions of government at all levels using assistive and new technologies. It's a civil and political right, so the government which has signed the convention, has to prtovide those rights now, not at some ill defined time in the future when the speaker is feeling less grumpy and badly done by. Do it now Lockie, do it now

Behind you • Since Jul 2011 • 79 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

What is so sad about this is that it is the very definition of penny pinching.

It's unfair, it's probably a breach of her rights, it's certainly neanderthal behaviour on the part of The Speaker and some in the media, it's easily solved and it probably would take some poor English graduate off the benefit (sorry cheap shot but you couldn't expect a science graduate to be able to spell well enough to do the job).

But most of all it's cheap.

This government is happy to see senior management in the state owned enterprises pull down $300k or more but $30k to allow an MP to actually do her job?

Sadly there were people who actually voted for The Speaker.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Gareth Davidson,

defect to the National Party (temporarily, of course). Problem will be fixed within days, if not hours, I'm sure.

Heh. Mathers gained her list seat at the expense of the ridiculous Aaron Gilmore, who treated his time in parliament as an exercise in fact-free misinformation and idly misleading the electorate. Perhaps Leighton's a bit miffed that the Greens don't expect her to follow suit.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Universality Challenge...
    Does anyone know how UK Parliamentary services dealt with providing for David Blunkett's blindness?

It does seem clear under the Parliamentary Services charter and act that they are to provide the werewithal for Representatives to do their jobs...
    and while directives come from The Speaker, he in turn can only make those after receiving relevant advice and recommendations from the Public Service Commission - so those folk need to pull finger, under urgency if you will...

Speaker to take into account advice and recommendations of Commission
    (1) It is a function of the Parliamentary Service Commission to advise the Speaker on—
    (a) the nature of the services to be provided under section 9C(a); and
    (b) the objectives to be achieved by the Service by providing those services.
    (2) In giving directions under section 9B(1), the Speaker must take into account any relevant advice and any relevant recommendation given or made by the Parliamentary Service Commission under subsection (1).

14 Functions of Parliamentary Service Commission
    (1) The Parliamentary Service Commission has the following functions:
    (a) to advise the Speaker on the following matters:
    (i) the nature of the services to be provided to the House of Representatives and to members of Parliament:
    (ii) the objectives to be achieved by providing those services:
    (b) to recommend to the Speaker the adoption of criteria governing funding entitlements for parliamentary purposes:
    (c) to recommend to the Speaker persons who are suitable to be members of a review committee:
    (d) to consider and comment on draft reports prepared by review committees.
    (2) The Commission may at any time require the Speaker or the General Manager to report on, or inquire into, matters relating to the administration of this Act or the exercise or performance of any function, duty, or power under this Act.
    (3) The Commission has any other function or power conferred on it by or under any enactment.
    (4) The Commission does not have a role in relation to—
    (a) business transacted at meetings of the House of Representatives or meetings of committees of the House of Representatives; or
    (b) any other proceedings in Parliament.

perhaps Smith wants to use an interpretation of (4)a & b (above) to say they have no jurisdiction over house proceedings - which would seem to defeat the purpose...
    the whole Parliamentary Services Act is here

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Helen Miller,

BTW NZSL is the country's third official language - anyone tried finding a teacher or community classes to learn signing ?

Grey Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 15 posts Report Reply

• Helen Miller,

My son used to sign at his pre-school for "more food" and none of the staff knew what he was saying!!!

Grey Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 15 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Gareth Davidson,

There is an easy solution available to her – defect to the National Party (temporarily, of course). Problem will be fixed within days, if not hours, I’m sure.

Nice cheap shot there (and not exactly a tough audience), but I think there's more than enough to justly ping The Speaker for without going there.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming,

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Chris Waugh, in reply to Helen Miller,

BTW NZSL is the country’s third official language

I do appreciate the reminder. NZSL and Te Reo are on my to learn upon repatriation list.

Approaching this from my language geek point of view, it strikes me as being yet another (petty, spiteful) example of NZ's gross undervaluing of communication methods that aren't limited to standard New Zealand spoken and written English.

As Helen points out, NZSL is an official language. Is Dr Smith prepared to go to the expense of providing interpreters (I believe somebody upthread pointed out this would be more expensive than what is currently being requested - no time to check, though, supposed to be on my way to work)? If not, is this not a breach of the Bill of Rights Act and any other law regarding NZ's official languages? (lawyers, help!) Isn't provision for interpretation to and from Te Reo Maori already provided? Considering NZSL has equal status with Te Reo and English, shouldn't provision for interpretation directly between all three of these languages (i.e. directly between NZSL and Te Reo; Te Reo and English, English and NZSL without interpretation between, for example, Te Reo and NZSL to have to go via English) be provided not just in Parliament, but in courts and any and all other official places.

Yes I am asking for bucket loads more money to be spent on NZ's linguistic diversity.

Apologies for any incoherence. Must rush. Will clarify later if need be.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 2401 posts Report Reply

• David Cormack, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Agreed. My FaceBook thread has been filled with indignant anti-Nats going on about how indicative of National’s attitudes to the disabled this is…

This is not a partisan issue, it’s a parliamentary services issue – it just so happens that the speaker is a Nat.

Suburbia, Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 218 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming,

Other threadjack: I posted on the Megaupload thread that rnbxclusive.com has been shut down by SOCA in the UK

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to David Cormack,

This is not a partisan issue, it’s a parliamentary services issue – it just so happens that the speaker is a Nat.

Bigger than that - it's a societal litmus test for Social Darwinism.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

It's academic that I despise Lockwood Smith, but I never expected to be despising him for something so obviously, bipartisanly, blindingly, deafeningly wrong.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart, in reply to Helen Miller,

BTW NZSL is the country's third official language - anyone tried finding a teacher or community classes to learn signing ?

A couple of schools in Chch used to offer it as a night class (before, y'know, the community education cuts) and Canterbury Parents of Deaf Children are currently running free classes at the Blind Foundation rooms. But then, Chch has a Deaf school, it's not as short on teachers and interpreters as other places.

My kids' school also received a pack (sort of) designed to enable teachers to offer NZSL to interested kids. Again, there are simply not enough signing teachers to offer it as part of the curriculum.

And through Deaf Aotearoa New Zealand you can buy signing videos or register for signing taster classes.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Peter Martin,

I have to wonder if a deal of the 'she/the Greens knew about the deafness before she was elected thus it's up to her' is because she is a Green...

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 187 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart, in reply to Chris Waugh,

not just in Parliament, but in courts and any and all other official places.

If Mathers were to appear in court, she would be entitled to a funded interpreter. Actually, I'm pretty sure that if she were on a jury, she'd also be entitled to a funded interpreter. So, y'know, she could carry out her civic duty...

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Peter Martin,

anyone tried finding a teacher or community classes to learn signing ?

My son has lessons from The Robbie White Trust in Dunedin . The signer takes a lesson at school so that the whole class and teacher gets to learn it as well. If Parliamentary Services have any loot left over , I know of a Trust it could go to...

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 187 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

I'd agree that this issue is bipartisan - I can't imagine that the Nats will back Smith on this, the best they could do is wash their hands of it. He's harming their brand whether or not they have any control over him at all. This is disastrous publicity, and could so easily have been turned into a win. Now, the opportunity is lost, the PM can't be seen to be leaning on the Speaker.

I think this is a Lockwood issue. Also, a fuckwit issue. They're closely related issues.

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Stephen R,

I’d put $300 towards a note taker for Mojo if Lockwood doesn’t provide.Do you think there are another 99 people in NZ who’d do the same?

Winston Peters offered to help immediately yesterday and urged other Parties to assist, but this isn't really the issue here. Many would offer I'm sure.
    Shit ! Can we get subtitles too! I find it rediculous that I cannot understand what Maori MP's say in the House. To consider that Mojo should just sort it out herself is despicable.:(

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• slarty,

With all due respect, this is an old white man issue. PS have just gone through a shared service consolidation which will have failed to deliver the "economies of scale" etc. So they are under the gun.

Lockwood is invested in the OMG we're about to go broke party line. All the budget holders are all terrified of being the one who breaks ranks and asks English for more money.

We aren't broke, we're actually in better shape than most. Our national debt would be easily manageable if we would drop dated ideological policies and tackle the fundamental imbalances and anti-growth policies. But that can never be, so we're back to shaving piffling amounts of state sector budgets and keeping our fingers cross.

Since Nov 2006 • 290 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to BenWilson,

Also, a fuckwit issue.

They seem to be all the go with Parliamentary Services and that particular list slot.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

this isn't really the issue here

Indeed. Excellent instant point scoring by Peters, but really, the point is that a whip-around shouldn't be the way Parliament funds vital things like access to Parliamentary debate for an elected MP.

The mere side effect that hundreds of thousands of NZers could also be empowered to follow parliamentary broadcasts at all, and millions of people could be empowered to follow the Maori contributions (and Cockwood would have less excuse to kick Hone out for giving his vows in Maori), are also important, but at the very least representatives should get is an equal chance to represent.

Which is, incidentally, exactly what Mojo is doing by raising this issue. Representing. It's a mirror of the exact same issue faced by the disabled constantly, and good on her for getting stuck in, straight away, on something so damned important.

• Hilary Stace,

Last year the parliamentary select committee that deals with elections considered how to make the whole election process easier and more accessible for disabled people. I was there when Deaf advocate Kim Robinson made his submission about the requirements of the Deaf community. It is a a pity that the committee didn't also decide what needs to be in place should a real Deaf person be elected.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

one day we’d have an MP who was on the autism spectrum, and out about it

I think we've had a few of those over the last 150 years, just not diagnosed, nor, of course, out about it.

I know of several, both diagnosed and out, who have ambitions in that area, and would be very good.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

a parliament of rooks...

Can we get subtitles too!

Does each MP's seat/bench have a dedicated microphone?
    Couldn't software like Siri (or whatever it is iPhones now use) be used to transcribe what is said, with an attribution underneath as to who it is...
    ...and then all the juvenile heckling could also be ascribed to its source, and float around in the background like the aural pollution it is...
    Might even put a stop to it!

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.