Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Party Time, Excellent

145 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Stephen Judd,

As a veteran of internet meetups for years, I reckon name tags are a good idea. They break the ice, they make introductions easier, they let you find and be found. Yes, they're dorky. On the other hand, you're doing a dorky thing anyway: own your dorkiness* and make it work, I say.

Ben: I'm almost prepared to drive to Auckland to meet you now, on the strength of that comment.

*this computer's spelling checker has "dorky" but not "dorkiness." Heh.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

If we have name tags, can I be someone else?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

I should also say, Ben, that I admire you for your honesty. It's completely natural to have all of those thoughts. None of us are as socially adept as we would like, I suspect. And I think that most people really find social situations quite difficult. It's always hard meeting new people, being in new situations. I'm a veteran of net meetings, and the older I get, the harder it is. PA thingies I have found somewhat harder than most situations because of the very erudite nature of the people that frequent this forum. So, please, don't worry. I've met some lovely new friends, off line, from this place, and I know that you will too.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Scott A,

But, Stephen, "I'm from teh forumz" badges are soooo 2007!

The wilds of Kingston, We… • Since May 2009 • 133 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

Well said, Jackie. I swim in the academic world and presumably I am daily surrounded by great minds and greater thoughts but I find the PA world far more intellectually stimulating and, at times, a little daunting. But certainly we should meet this time...

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Ben Gracewood,

We're discussing an epic comment, and the beer sponsor who's just come aboard for the Great Blend is ... Epic.

Oh crap. Can someone monitor my intake of Epic Pale Ale prior to speaking please? That stuff is my kryptonite.

I vote yes for nametags, but just because I tend to forget names about halfway through the second sentence of talking to someone new. Seriously.

Orkland • Since Nov 2006 • 168 posts Report Reply

• Morgan Nichol,

That stuff is my kryptonite.

Kryptonite, power pill... it's so hard to keep these things straight.

Auckland CBD • Since Nov 2006 • 314 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

This is going to be funny. If I tried to quote anything just now it would be all of Bens, and then everything up to here. Ben that was a brilliant piece of writing. PA has such a nice bunch of people and I would just like to say, of all those that I have met, Nuff Respec'. Absolutely wonderful bunch of writer people.Then EPIC HAIL THE PALE ALE.Russell is ontoit.
    Re the name tags, what about a choice which worked perfectly well at that Quadrant sess.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

Edit, whoops, wrong thread. This is the EPIC thread.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• Andre,

I've got kids stuff on in the early evening and an importnat birthday party that night so unfortunately I can't make it. I'm thinking of donating a name badge to an imposter though!

New Zealand • Since May 2009 • 371 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

I'm going to go ahead with epic response, despite 3410 alarm bells going off in my head.

Nope, changed my mind. Deleting 5000 odd words...now. That's been happening a lot lately. Only I know what they said. Something feels a little selfish about that. I'll consider this my opening rebuttal of 3410. There's only 2395 posts to the contrary, no problem.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

Al Green will be performing in Auckland in January. Whooo!!

My reaction to this news last week: "OMG I am going to pee my pants!" Yes. This is the effect the Reverend Al has on me.

No party for me. Again. Because I have my work Christmas do and Jarvis Cocker, and people who are six months pregnant are often incapable of staying up past 8pm, I've discovered, so three things in a row would really be beyond me...

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

If we have name tags, can I be someone else?

I thought you already were?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• st ephen,

Is there a cooler way of doing it?

Gravatar tags.

I'm hopeless with names, but I'd recognise a dugong across a crowded room.

dunedin • Since Jul 2008 • 254 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

A dugong in Dunedin would indeed be memorable. (However, I am slowly morphing into my gravatar - is this happening to anyone else?)

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

There is no one I would rather morph into than Charo (have you seen her lately? She is AGELESS. That is some Dorian Gray shit), but sadly I just can't dedicate myself to that much fake tan. And my dog is too big to wear a tiny tuxedo jacket.

I'm happy to greet anyone I meet with 'cuchi cuchi!', though. On request.

• JackElder,

(However, I am slowly morphing into my gravatar - is this happening to anyone else?)

So it's a reverse Dorian Gray, then, eh?

Personally, my gravatar is three tattoo sessions behind the times. I should probably get around to updating it.

Yes to nametags. Not that I'll be attending the great blend, but I'll see Wellyboddies at the Thistle tonight.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

I declare it to be freaky that Jack and I both referenced Dorian Gray at almost the same moment.

• Craig Ranapia,

There is no one I would rather morph into than Charo (have you seen her lately? She is AGELESS. That is some Dorian Gray shit)

Not as scary as Sophia Loren -- I swear she's had her bood drained and replaced with botox. It's the only rational, or even remotely plausible, explanation why she looks exactly the same in the trailers for 'Nine' (due out here early in the new year) as she did in Altman's 'Pret A Porter' in 1994. And here's a rather nice compare and contrast with Altman's sly (and rather snarky) homage to an infamous scene between Loren and Marcello Mastroianni in 1963's 'Ieri, oggi, doman' and the original:

I'm happy to greet anyone I meet with 'cuchi cuchi!', though. On request.

Is that a promise... I will respond to the mating call with the traditional verse, 'Cuban Pete':

Chick-chicky-boom! Chick-chicky-boom! Chick-chicky-boom!

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

people who are six months pregnant are often incapable of staying up past 8pm, I've discovered

People who are four weeks old are quite often the same. But, oddly, quite capable of staying up for hours when they wake up at 2 in the morning.

Anyhoo, I've heard CYFS takes a rather dim view of leaving them alone for the evening, even if you do leave the remote within easy reach and $20 pinned to their nappy in case of emergencies (curse you, nanny state!). So much as I'd love to meet some more of you, I'll be sitting this one out.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• FletcherB,

I am slowly morphing into my gravatar - is this happening to anyone else?

Not so much with the slowly morphing... I've always had a gear lever sticking out of my head :)

p.s. the caption that belongs under the picture is "Shift For Brains"

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report Reply

• FletcherB,

I've heard CYFS takes a rather dim view of leaving them alone for the evening, even if you do leave the remote within easy reach and $20 pinned to their nappy in case of emergencies (curse you, nanny state!.

Surely, if the state really was a Nanny... you wouldnt have to look after them yourself and you could go out?

You've disproved your own label. :D

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I too am unfortunately morphing into Hilary's gravatar.

• Sacha,

I will respond to the mating call with the traditional verse, 'Cuban Pete'

You two are jst trying to scare people off. :)

• Danielle,

Not as scary as Sophia Loren

This. So this. The freakiest thing about her is the boobage: she is a well-endowed lady who does not appear to sag in any way! She has clearly made a soul-selling pact with either the devil himself or god's own corsetiere.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.